Thursday, July 30, 2009

H1B1 Visa Girl; Indentured I-485 Green Card Goddess

"H1B1 Visa Girl: Indentured Green Card Goddess"
48" wide x 60", acrylic on canvas. It is me remembering the story of my grandmother's ancestors who came to Jamaica as indentured servants from China. Her clothing references body wrapping; figure uprooted and hovering in place, not yet planted. Her eyes convey hope to the future generations that will come after her. "The Goddess in Every Girl" by Marie-Jeanne Abadie encourages readers to explore their female family history and get a jump on taking control of their own goddess life.

1 comment:

Green Card Visa said...

This is the first time I have seen art that had to do with any sort of visa or immigration POLICY. Very interesting. I don't agree with the pathos, but the quality of the art is undeniable.