Saturday, July 18, 2009

Chinese Jamaican's


"Miss Young"
12" x 16" Oil on Canvas.
This painting is not a portrait, my process is to paint and allow these characters to emerge. She is titled Miss Young in honour of my half chinese maternal grandmother, whose maiden name was Young. My grandmother was born in 1923, she was a dressmaker who at my request made numerous doll clothes for my dollies.

Recently I was browsing through the Jamaica National Library's images on flickr and came across some images of Chinese Jamaican Ladies from the 1930's, they were newspaper announcements for their occupations such as; vocalist, doctor, cashier etc. It was uplifting to see how many were involved in family businesses, medicine, and especially the arts.

Top row: Miss Audrey Leahong, well known fancy painter, Dr. Hoashoo M.B. one of two lady doctor's in Jamaica, Miss Elma Fung, who is her father's cashier.
Bottom row: Miss Doris James, a well known vocalist at concerts, Miss Doris Chin Loy, Who is now studying in China and Miss Fay Hendrickson, assistant in her father's business.

To read more on the history of the Chinese in Jamaica click here.

No comments: